In this dynamic materia medica course, students will learn herbs to maintain optimal health and address a variety of common health conditions. One herb at a time, students will acquire knowledge of the therapeutic uses, as well as medicinal properties and actions of numerous botanicals that are easily cultivated, native, and/or readily available.
Bringing more than 25 years expertise as a clinical practitioner and teacher, Christa presents an in-depth exploration of each plant including:
- Medicinal uses and clinical applications based on anatomy and physiology
- Latin binomials and common names
- Preparation and dosage
- Temperature and flavor
- Contraindications (when not to use the herb)
As the plants emerge, students will have the opportunity to view many of the herbs in our schools' onsite, organic demonstration garden that contains more than 200 medicinal species. This enables students to observe the herbs in their natural habitat, learn to identify them, and develop a personal connection with them.
The herbs are covered as a theme according to organ systems, for ease of learning.
Students will have the opportunity to sample and experiment with many of the herbs.
Classes will be held from 1 - 5 pm, Saturdays, from February 15 through May 9, 2020. Class will not be held on March 28. Please plan to carpool and to stay up to 15 minutes after class to clean up.
- Attend our herbal medicine making class and confidently prepare: fresh and dry plant extracts; syrups and honeys; oils and salves (including alcohol intermediary oil method); glycerites and acetums; decoctions, and hot and cold infusions.
- Be familiar with herbal therapeutic terminology.
- Have a printer and online access; check emails regularly.
The tuition fee for the program and materials is $1200 if paying in full by check, cash, or money order by Friday, February 7, 2020. Credit card or Paypal payments incur an addition 4% fee. Payment plans are available for an additional $100 and are automatically billed. If you are interested in this attending onsite or online, please email us directly at: email@example.com.